Blog de GAIA Program
During this month students are going to study one of the three optional modules chosen when they started in the Gaia program: Business Writing, Strategy Law & Ethics, and Product Management and Productivity
1. BUSINESS WRITING
Nowadays, written correspondence in English among individuals have become an essential part of every professional activity in this globalized world. Thus, it is essential the communication given inside or outside a company uses adequate structures and competent accuracy. In this module, students will learn diverse skills to write different documents appropriately.
With this module, we aim to bring closer some of the techniques and types of professional writing, including correspondence and reports. It is designed to help strengthen skills of effective business and professional communication basically in the written mode.
The required tasks to complete are:
- Elaboration of an appropriate abstract for a research paper
- Compile a cover letter
Skills to develop
- Students will learn diverse kind of business writing documents with their particularities.
- Students will learn how to elaborate on relevant structures to compose English documents.
- Students will get different vocabulary to enrich their English written command
2. STRATEGY LAW & ETHICS
Strategy, law, and ethics are essential elements for a well-made business decision as they are key processes for every business activity. For this reason, it is necessary to balance those spheres understanding well the relationship and interactions among them. This module explores how to take the place in the global market by integrating and balancing the complex practices of corporate law, strategy, and ethics.
The goal of this module is to help students to better understand the concepts linked to the digital economy and corporate strategy trying to make them gain an understanding of the creation and development of a born-digital company.
Tasks to develop:
Students must read the specific case of a company, We work. They will need to deeply comprehend the case answering some questions so they can fully recognize the business strategy.
Skills to develop
- Students will learn different strategies companies may have so they understand how to make a company profitable
- Students will better understand the concepts linked to the digital economy and corporate strategy trying to make them know about the creation and development of a born-digital company
- Students will apprehend how a business must follow a corporate approach and how it should work.
- Students will study reactions from distinct competitors understanding how they have started in the market and how they continue there.
- Students will learn methodologies from other competitors so they comprehend how to deal with them.
3. PRODUCT MANAGEMENT AND PRODUCTIVITY
In every company is always necessary to understand how to develop a successful product as this is the part that is going to provide benefits to the business. For this reason, in this module, students will learn how a company deals with all the stages of the product lifecycle and its components.
The objective of this module is learning and assessing opportunities that address customer needs by delivering the maximum value of a product while reducing cost and efforts in all stages of the product life cycle.
Tasks to develop:
Students are going to analyze the company Twitter completing four exercises about that company.
- Exercise 1: They will investigate the product so they know it well
- Exercise 2: They will discover the product
- Exercise 3: They will design and select the appropriate characteristics of the product
- Exercise 4 (Optional) Students will develop the proposal of a project
Skills to develop
- Students will fully understand how to know the product of a company properly, so it could be sold.
- Students will learn how to design the product appropriately selecting the most effective phases of the product life cycle
- Students will master how to meet the customer needs while reducing costs and efforts of the product life cycle.
- Students will develop a proper proposal of a project as if they were going to really launch a product.
The overall module aim was for the students to learn the general concepts of financial markets and provide the tools they need to make their own financial decisions with greater skill and confidence. In this activity, the students have learned how to build a diversified portfolio and also they have analyzed the companies that are worth investing in.
Task to do (4th -25th March)
Students were asked to identify their investment risk profile and to create a profile within the private GAIA competition “BEAT THE ROBOT”.
They had to create a diversified portfolio by investing in different financial markets with the objective of building a diversified portfolio taking into account the investment risk profile obtained.
Feedforward: next time do it even better (27th-31st March)
After reviewing the performance of the students within the BEAT THE ROBOT competition, the experts Marco Collado and Rubén Castillo shared with them some feedback about their performance. Apart from that, they talked about future steps students could follow to continue with their investments.
Final Ranking BEAT THE ROBOT competition
In today’s complex economy, organizations are realizing the competitive advantage that formal portfolio management provides them. The art of selecting the right investment policy for the individuals in terms of minimum risk and maximum return is called portfolio management. Investments allow a company to perform its business activities and without them, the company would not be able to exist.
In this module, students will work individually with the objective of making good decisions to build their own portfolio in a stock simulator called Virtual Stock Exchange.
They will be enrolled in a private GAIA competition “BEAT THE ROBOT” and the objective is that they compete with the rest of students and with the robo-advisor VANGUARD.
Some required tasks involve:
- Learning about their investment risk profile by completing a specific questionnaire.
- Build their portfolio within the Virtual Stock Exchange platform.
- Create a diversified portfolio taking into account the different financial markets.
- Make the right investments based on their investment risk profile.
SKILLS TO DEVELOP
- Students will learn how to evaluate the performance of their investment strategy.
- Students will learn what the Robo-advisors advantages are and how they can use Robo-advisors for their investments.
- Students will learn how the stock market works and how to make a profit from their investments.
- Students will learn the different types of buying and selling orders and how they can choose the one that suits them best.
- Students will learn the importance of building a diversified portfolio.
Video de Jordi García Lorenzo. GAIA student doing his internship in Canal de Isabel II and creator of the blog dinerobolsa.com
Innovation and change are the key drivers of success in many industries nowadays. In this unit, the students have worked with “design thinking” and “lean startup” methodologies to produce ideas, to create and to innovate in the process.
Task to do (4th -25th February)
Students were asked to find a practical solution and create a prototype to solve one of the following challenges for the humanity: Energy, Food, Water, Security, Learning and Disaster resilience
As possible prototypes, students were suggested to choose between three categories:
- Products: paper products, Lego “SeriousPlay”, 3D printers…
- Services: Customer Journey maps, Infographics, web pages…
- Softwares: App simulations with Marvel…
Feedforward: next time do it even better (27th February-30th March)
After reviewing the tasks they have delivered, some advice was told: To make prototypes reliables it is important to be sure that the solution achieved makes an impact in customers lives. It is also important to know that the prototype can be implemented in a six months period. Summarizing an Innovation project is based in teamwork and efficient work
- Isabel Muñoz, Rebeca Viday and Oscar Barceló
Software prototype: Marvel app simulation “Bully Busters!”
- Daniel de Careaga, Elena Odriozola, María Guerrero, Víctor Girón
Service prototype: A service to connect already existing internet-providing infrastructures with eLearning platforms like edX, Coursera and Duolingo in Nigeria
Innovation is an idea successfully brought to market that creates a new value, often for both user and enterprise. Innovations sometimes involve inventions, but not necessarily always. Innovation is often driven by technological advancement, but neither necessarily. Companies that innovate are able to set the organization in a different paradigm in order to identify new opportunities and best methods to solve current problems.
In this module, students will work in 4 members-teams with the objective of creating a prototype that “solve” one of these challenges which each team can choose as they please.
Some required tasks involve:
- Basadur’s profile testing for every team member
- Working out a solution using mind-map canvas for design thinking
- Testing the solution with potential users using lean startup methodology
Video de Lucía Ruiz Montiel. Innovation instructor & Entrepeneur
SKILLS TO DEVELOP
- Students will learn to capitalize on their strengths. Basadur test measures states, not traits. It is a tool to help an individual, team, or organization to understand how to increase creativity and innovation in a supportive environment.
- Students will learn to apply human-centered techniques -design thinking- to solve problems in a creative and innovative way.
- Students will learn to empathize with potential customers and train themselves through prototype testing. -lean startup methodology.